Thursday, December 16, 2010
Cooking Up Holiday Spirit
This week's cookbook is Woman's Day Christmas Cookies Candies & Cakes produced by Woman's Day Magazine
(Makes 48 cookies)
Prep & Chill: 4 3/4 Hours
Bake: 8 to 10 minutes per batch
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 large egg
1/2 tsp pure almond extract
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
Decoration: white of 1 large egg, slightly beaten, sliced almonds, and sugar
1. Beat butter, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl with mixer on low speed to blend. Increase to medium-high and beat until fluffy. Beat in egg and almond extract. On low speed, beat in flour and cornstarch until just blended.
2. Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into a 1-inch thick disk. Wrap individually and refrigerate at least 4 hours or until firm enough to roll out.
3. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready a 2 1/2 inch heart shaped cookie cutter.
4. On lightly floured wax paper with lightly floured rolling pin, roll 1 disk (keep other refrigerated) to 1/8 inch thick. Cut out hearts with cookie cutter. Slide paper onto a baking sheet; freeze 5 to 10 minutes or until firm and easy to handle.
5. Peel hearts off paper. Place 1-inch apart on ungreased baking sheet. Cut a 1 1/2 -inch-long slit at bottom of hearts. Spread apart slightly to form wings. Brush hearts with egg white. Attach almonds as shown (3 slivers down each side of cookie,) pressing down gently. Sprinkle with a little sugar. (Reroll scraps only once or cookies will be tough.)
6. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until just golden brown at edges. Remove to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough.